Our Firm can help guide you through the process, whether it be for a step-parent adoption, relative adoption, or completing an agency placement adoption.
The following are a few things that will be required to start most adoptions:
- Take a pre-placement assessment, termed a “Home Study”
- Obtain a Consent to Adoption from the biological parents
- Obtain an affidavit from the biological mother containing the names, addresses and marital statuses of the biological parents.
- Obtain a medical history of the biological family.
- Obtain a Certified Copy of Background Information for the adopting family.
- Resolve all Court Orders or Pleadings that are pending in relation to the child
- Disclose any individual who you were unable to contain consent from
Once your materials are prepared, an attorney can file a Petition for Adoption with the court. You must also serve notice to anyone who you were unable to obtain consent from.
Alderman & Hutcherson is experienced and fully equipped to handle every detail of your adoption process. Call us today at (478) 476-9110 or fill out our online contact form to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys today!